Imagine being able to make your own Homemade Flour Paint for outdoors from only a few ingredients. It lasts 5-10 years too …
You’ll be amazed how easy this Homemade Flour Paint is to make! It’s inexpensive, non-toxic and will last between 5 to 10 years on outdoor wooden surfaces. Flour Paint has 4 simple ingredients.
You can make it in earthy tones. It’s also UV proof. This means you won’t suffer the dreaded fade, nearly half as much. This is an extremely durable paint. It is said to last 5-10 years, once applied.
We love the idea of making our own paint. The lack of toxicity is very appealing. Flour paint is ideal for external painting. The picture above is an example of the types of colors that you can achieve using different earth pigments. Most paints are made from very simple ingredients and Flour Paint is an age old recipe.
Its origins are said to be in Sweden. Flour Paint should only be used on wood, you need to ensure that it is clean and dry. It should be brushed down and stripped of any previous paint or varnish.
What others are reading
Please keep scrolling
Homemade Flour Paint For Outdoors
Sanding and preparing your surface correctly is critical to its success. You want the Paint to take to the wood and penetrate and if preparation is poor, this will not happen. Do not use this on Drywall. Flour Paint is more suited to vertical surfaces that are external to your home.
Flour Paint is more suited to vertical surfaces that are external to your home. Now let’s look at what you are going to need to make a 10 Litre Batch of Flour Paint. As you may not be familiar with some of the ingredients, we have linked them below. We have also included a video tutorial for you to watch from the creator.
Homemade Flour Paint Video Tutorial
We have included a video from the creator showing you how they make and use Flour Paint. You will find the recipe and details for how to make, below. On a side note, Flour Paint is designed to use with a brush. It will be too thick to pop in a spray gun so be sure to bear that in mind. Click Play above to watch now ^
Photo credit: Claude Lacasse
Homemade Flour Paint Recipe Ingredients
- 8 Litres of Water (8.5 quart)
- 650g White Flour (23 oz)
- 2.5 kilo earth pigments or iron oxides (5.5 pounds)
- 250g Iron Sulfate (9 oz)
- 1 Litre Linseed Oil (1 quart)
- 100ml Black Soap or Colourless Dishwashing Liquid 3.4 fl oz
Photo credit: Claude Lacasse
How To Make Flour Paint Recipe
- In a large metal recipient, bring 7 liters (7 qt) of water to a boil.
- At the same time, mix the flour in 1 liter of water (1.5 qt). Pour the mix in the boiling water and let cook for 15 minutes while stirring.
- Add the coloring pigments as well as the Iron Sulfate, and keep stirring for 15 minutes.
- Add the double boiled Linseed Oil, and stir for another 15 minutes.
- Add the liquid soap, stir, remove from the heat source and let the mix cool down.
- The paint is ready to use. If it seems too thick or viscous, dilute it with water until you get the desired viscosity.
It is recommended that you do not paint in the heat or direct sun. After applying your first coat, you should wait 24 hours before applying your final coat. It is also suggested that 2 years later you top up your paint. This will result in extending your paint for a further decade. It is also suggested that you do a test patch on the area you intend to paint to check results.